Educating in a spirit of audacity and hope
In 1897 the Marist Brothers were invited by Archbishop O’Reilly to open a school for boys in Port Adelaide. The Brothers opened two schools, Sacred Heart High School and Catholic Boy’s Primary school. The first Principal was Brother Stephen DeBourg. By 1900 the Marist Brothers had begun to take in boarders. During the first ten years Sacred Heart High School changed its location twice to provide room for the increasing number of students.
In 1914 Sacred Heart High School moved to the present location at Somerton Park. It was renamed, Sacred Heart College and provided education for day students and boarders from Year 4 to Leaving Honours.
The early years saw Paringa Hall used for all aspects of school life which included classrooms, dormitories and dining rooms and home to the Brothers. As the enrolment increased a building programme was commenced that eventually built up the teaching area around the central covered quadrangle.
The need for boarding places increased as well. In 1960 the Marian Wing was opened allowing the boarders to have their purpose built space. Later a senior boys’ boarding house was opened and this was followed in 1998 by a girls’ boarding house. 1977 saw a major change to the College. Sacred Heart College became part of the SW Region scheme and moved to become a Senior College catering for the final three years of secondary education.
Presently Sacred Heart College Senior is a coeducational Senior College providing opportunities, for more than 1,000 students, in Years 10 – 12.
Sacred Heart College Senior proudly remains a Marist school constantly developing the Marist Charism among its staff and students.